Monday, November 27, 2006

My tentative Top Ten

I made this list last week after reading some other tentative top tens around the internet world. There's still about 36 or so days left in the year, which is going to be a lot more movies, since December is pretty packed, so there is still an opportunity for other movies to jump in this list.

Couple of other quick things... I don't remember for the life of me when I saw The Squid and the Whale, but I don't believe it was this year. I don't have my 2005 list with me, so it might be on there, I don't remember. Anyway, if it was this year, it would be around 5 or 6, but I don't think it was this year.

So here it my current top ten, subject to change by Dec 31st.

Honorable Mention- Little Miss Sunshine, Babel

10- Bubble- I loved how realistic this movie, for an experimental film, it was a success imo, and i swear, they could have been filming people i know in southern ohio, and i wouldn't have known the difference

9- The Proposition- a great modern western... well the movie is set in the 19th century, but it was made now... anyways, great acting, i love guy pearce and ray winstone, the violence reminded me of oldboy in how it's almost a vibrant character itself... great story about brotherhood too

8- Tsotsi- i loved the music in this movie, and it was just a feelgood movie

7- Match Point- when i first saw this in january, i seriously thought nothing was going to unseat it as the best movie of the year... it's really a 2005 movie, but i start my lists Jan 1st... this script is ridiculous, john rhys-meyers character is such a bastard, the way the plot twists around

6- The Prestige- christopher nolan can tell a story like nobody else... i will love nearly any movie if it is plotted and paced expertly, and with this, nolan once again shows brilliance... sure, i didn't like some of the twists, but bale and jackman's performances alongside a very smart story won me over

5- Lady Vengeance- had to rent this one, but i love the way chanwook park went with this movie... it was a bit lighter than oldboy, but his creation of these incredibly unique, funny and original characters and situations, while having a very dark storyline is great, i want more and more of him using this type of mood

4- Brick- most anticipated movie in a long time for me before i went and saw it, after hearing how it did on the festival circuit... this was a first movie for the director, and he created this beauty... if you can allow yourself to get taken up in the high school / private investigator amalgamation that is brick, you will see the most original hybrid film in a long long time

3- A Scanner Darkly- this movie was hated by a lot of critics, but i dug it hard, for personal reason, and because i love philip k dick and richard linklater... this movie was a super mix of comedy and social commentary, and i don't know why i have it so high, but i couldn't bear placing it any lower

2- The Fountain- even more anticipated than brick... most beautiful film i have seen in a long time... it says something about the strength of film this year, that this is only my number two film... i just saw it 2 days ago, and i am still shaken up by it, in a good way... again, hated by critics for being too different

1- The Departed- oh man, the best scorsese since goodfellas, the best crime movie since heat, the best acting by every single person involved, the funnest time you could have in a movie theater or at home, i know it's an HK film that was remade, but scorsese killed it, this movie was so well done, i did not expect this

still to come- Children of Men, Little Children, maybe Pan's Labyrinth, blood diamond, apocalypto, bobby, for your consideration, the good shepherd

2 Comments:

At 6:08 AM, Blogger AVAPEARLSMOMMA said...

I don't go to the movies very often anymore since your cousin came along, but I had been wanting to see this movie! I LOVED IT!!! I know you only gave it an honorable mention, but...loved the "super freak" ending!!!! Maybe I am not the best one to be adding to your comments....haha! Bare with me.....I watch alot of the movies now, when they come to DVD!!!

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger JeffGalley said...

hey you talkin about little miss sunshine? sorry i haven't been responding to these, i just realized they were here

 

Post a Comment

<< Home